We really can make a difference you know!
In an era where many of us have anxieties about the biodiversity, climate and cost of living crises, it is easy to get depressed and feel disempowered. But we shouldn’t.
Radical change is built form incremental actions and critical mass generated by people power.
Things really can change quickly. We only have to think of examples such as the use of seatbelts, no smoking in public places, picking up dog poo to know that big shifts in human culture do happen.
But how does it all start? Well ultimately with ourselves.
If we have a simple thought that every decision we make, every action we take and every single purchase can have a positive impact on the planet then incredible transformations become possible.
People power can work for seals and people. The Seal Research Trust started from one person’s passion and now many such seal related organisations have sprung up and are thriving. A single seal related charity can make a difference, but change is accelerated when multiple seal related groups partner together on single issues, such as disturbance and marine litter. Additional momentum is achieved when other marine related organisations join in and we get a public movement for a cultural belief system change!
In a single hour we can choose to:
- Only fill the kettle with the water we need
- Turn off a light as we leave a room
- Recycle that envelope or flyer
- Use a plant based cleaner
- Not flush the toilet every time
- Feed the birds
In a single week we can decide to:
- Buy local produce that is in season, items that are genuinely green (rather than greenwashed) and preloved clothing
- Turn the thermostat down a few degrees on everything
- Avoid single use plastics
- Shower and wash clothes less frequently
- Eat more plants and less processed food
- Build a drainpipe wetland
Over a month we can question ourselves about our environmental footprint…can we:
- Enjoy holidays without flying
- Transition to an electric vehicle
- Use LEDs everywhere
- Walk to local services whenever we can or use public transport
- Support local community suppliers rather than major chains
- Invest in ethical companies
- Make your vote count for the environment and for the next generation
The more we do, the easier it becomes and we need to share what we are doing with all our friends and family to encourage them to do the same. Let’s mobilise people power. We all need to believe that every single small decision we take makes a positive difference and really does help the planet, one small step at a time!
If you don’t, who will?
Taking action relieves the anxiety and imagine how each little action builds up over a year.
We can do this. We will do this.
It starts with us and our personal daily lives and with every decision, action and purchase we make!
- You get a gift/treat
- A local community artist/business earns a living
- Seal conservation gets support
- Marine conservation leaders of the future are trained